Looking for a great movie list? Look no further! While I am willingly advising people to NOT travel under the current circumstances, I feel very strongly that we will all get through this together and the world will open it’s borders and we will travel again. So, while we may not be actively traveling, it is vitally important to keep on DREAMING about your next vacation or adventure.
To help all you travel-deprived, below is my movie list of travel-themed films to keep you entertained and dreaming of that next trip.
- Eat, Pray, Love (2010) – A married woman realizes how unhappy her marriage really is, and that her life needs to go in a different direction. After a painful divorce, she takes off on a round-the-world journey to “find herself” in Italy, India & Bali.
- P.S., I Love You (2007) – A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life. Ireland is the star!
- Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) – Based on the book by Frances Mayes, the film is about a recently divorced writer who buys a villa in Tuscany on a whim, hoping it will lead to a change in her life. The beauty of Cortona and the Italian people are featured.
- Letters to Juliet (2010) – traveling to Verona Italy with her busy fiancé, a young American journalist gets involved in an adventure based on a love letter a tourist left at the monument to Romeo & Juliet’s unrequited love.
- Mamma Mia (2008) & Mamma Mia: Here we go again (2018) – based on the wildly successful Broadway musical with a score from ABBA, this story tracks the lovely story of Donna and her daughter Sophie as they both grow and learn from the past.
- The Way (2010) – An American father takes the journey on the Camino del Santiago to understand what happened with his son, who died while attempting the journey himself. The beauty of France and Spain is prominently featured.
- National Lampoon’s European Vacation (1985) Just for giggles, follow the Griswold family through their comedic adventures in France, Italy & Germany. Because we all need a laugh right now!
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) British retirees decide to outsource their retirement to exotic India. Their new home is not quite what they had imagined but the they find life and love can begin again when they let go of their pasts. This film is full of Indian’s rich and welcoming culture.
- The Bucket List (2007) Two terminally ill men decide to go on a last adventure to finish a Bucket List. They go skydiving, drive a Shelby Mustang, fly over the North Pole, eat dinner at Chevre d’or in France, visit and praise the Taj Mahal, ride motorcycles on the Great Wall of China, attend a lion safari in Tanzania, pyramids in Egypt and visit Mt Everest in Nepal. What’s on your Bucket List?
Honorable Mention: The Beach (2000), Euro Trip (2004), Hangover Part II (20011).
Travel Movie List For the kids (but parents will like these too!):
- Brave (Disney) – A great adventure story based in Scotland that also teaches girls that they don’t need that handsome prince to be awesome.
- Moana (Disney) – The young daughter of the village chief discovers her calling and purpose by rescuing her Hawaiian island from an angry goddess, with the entertaining help of the demigod Maui.
- Ratatouille (Disney) – In Paris, a rat name Remy longs to become a French chef. He befriends a young restaurant worker, Linguini, and “mentors” his human friend in the ways of preparing fine cuisine.
- The Sound of Music – Need I say more? The adventures of the Von Trapp family and their nanny, Maria, set in pre-WW II Austria. A classic!
- Madeline: Lost in Paris – A young schoolgirl in Paris embarks on many misadventures that cause her fellow students and teachers many headaches. Based on the book series.
So, pop some popcorn and cozy-up on the couch and start dreaming.
Let me know what you think or if you have any movies to add to the list.
When the world calms down and you are ready to turn your new travel dreams into reality, I am here to make it effortless for you. Dream big, travel bigger! Why work with a travel advisor?